Monday, November 24, 2014

New Outlook, Rosalie Buenrostro, Librarian, Taylor Elementary School

My name is Rosalie Buenrostro and I am the librarian at Taylor Elementary School.
I have a different perspective on the Chromebooks than I did on the iPads.  Both are wonderful tools for the library but I seem to have a hard time getting started with the Chromebooks.  Part of the reason is I am at a different school this year and the technology advancement is not the same as my last school.  

My student’s did not know what a Chromebook might be, so we discussed it and compared the Chromebook to an iPad.  We created rules for the use of the Chromebooks and each student created a contract and signed it before they were allowed to touch our Chromebooks.

My new students have used a Dell or an iPad but have never had access to a Chromebook.  I recommend you start off with something they can grasp easily so they can get comfortable with using the technology and build their confidence.
I chose to start by introducing them to SOAR through www.CPS.edu/library as they had no knowledge that CPS has so many wonderful tools at their fingertips.  I’ll save this discussion for another time.

The biggest problem I have at this time is I no longer have access to a charging cart.  I had to become innovative as most of us teachers do.  The picture displayed is what I came up with.  I will try to rectify this problem later but at this time it is more important to get Taylor School children using the technology, specifically the Chromebooks.


No comments:

Post a Comment